Sunday, April 02, 2006

My lil' tribute to Ben & his funny snippets

Ben's a friend of Mr. E, and he never fails to crack me or rather us up with his lil' funny snippets of his life. He's halfway around the world in US, out in California. But he's from the bay area, kinda. He's offbeat, he's funny, he loves cycling, he loves to do outdoor stuff. he's also a geek, getting his PhD, tho i doubt he needs it cos he has permanent head damage already. He hates to conform to today's social norms. Funny thing is he sings for his church choir. *heh heh* it's something i personally find amusing. sorry Ben, i had to laugh.

What he needs is an offbeat chick, who loves outdoors, particularly cycling, ... oh yea, he offers a fast ticket out to US. So girls, lemme know.

Why am i promoting / marketing him? Simple. He's nuts. And i think his mom thinks so too. How do i know? He send me a snippet of his conversation with his mom, when his brother got married over last weekend in Singapore. He chose not to return for such societal BS.

Snippets : ---
MUM: What is wrong with settling down with a nice gal like your brother? Aren't you afraid of dying alone?
ME: Better than dying enslaved.
MUM: *stumped for the longest time*
ME: Hello? Hello?
MUM: I knew it was a bad idea for me to agree to you majoring in English.

I decided to be cheeky and told him i too won't ever send my kids off to learn engrish. I would rather let them learn Hokkien, and be ah bengs & ah lians.

My Hokkien Version : ----
Mom : ka le eh brother sio siang chua chin ka pore zha bor wu simi bo ho
Mom : le ai ka ki si ah...
Mom : chin cham leh...
You : ka ki si ...ho ke zho lang eh ku li si... zhun boh?

Cheers Ben !

1 comment:

-ben said...

Oh, Lordy!
A post dedicated entirely to me!

tai gan dong le!

Actually, my Mandarin is not that great. In fact, it's atrocious. I tried to ask for 2 bak chang at this Asian deli 2 nights ago. I forgot the Chinese word for dumplings. And so, the entire time, the counter staff was playing, zhe ge? na ge?, with me; until she finally lost her patience and told me, "I also know how to speak English. Would you prefer that?"

Oh, the humanity.

Anyways, back to the topic: such "enjoyable" exchanges are not limited to conversations with my mother. Check out a prior conversation with my younger brother:


MY BROTHER: Dude, aren't you gonna attend my wedding?

ME: Nah, too busy, but I will be there for your next one. Promise.

MY BROTHER: Burn in hell, bro!


By the way, my younger sister just dropped the bomb this morning: she's getting married in June.

Looks like I will be Chingachgook, Le Gros Serpent, of the family--the last of the Mohicans...