Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Why do it if you're not having fun?

Over the past two months, as i sit slouched over my seat staring into my computer, i lamented, whined and bitched about how absolutely horrible my life is. I have been clocking 12 hour days trying to cope with my project. Two months down, i am coping surprisingly well, and am starting to let go of bits and pieces of the project. I realized i can't hold all the responsibilities, yet i had to. It's a love-hate thing.

With the amount of time i spent at work, thinking about work, it's safe to say i have not much time for anything else. Weekends are precious. I choose to skip rides / runs on sundays, in favor of sleeping in. The love of my life told me "why do it if you're not having fun".

I love my work, passionately love it, because it gives me a sense of satisfaction. And the responsibility weighs heavily, just cause i have men who are dependent on that paycheck to feed their families. It's a huge hierarchy to take care of. Now I know why the world's greatest CEOs have to always spend hours thinking and innovating to keep their employees' tummy filled. I don't quite agree with others when they said "why work so hard, when you don't have time?" I don't work all the time, i just work like a lot of other people. I may no longer have an easy schedule, allowing me to stroll in at 10am, and leaving by 3pm. To me, everyone has a different plan in life, some people are happy earning a lot more money, some people are happy just doing what they love but everything they do is still through hard work and some careful planning. I am a believer of what you reap is what you would sow.

I choose to skip my ride or run on some days, cos i am too tired. I can't psych myself to be doing 40 laps in the pool, nor run that 10km. I won't be having fun doing it. Why is wakeboarding / wave-riding a better option? Because it's fun, i get to interact with some friends and long-lost ones. My priorities always lie with the waters. Flow riding may not be much of a workout, and it comes with the price of whiplash. But hey, i am having a smile, and thinking about the technicality to it. But with the Singapore Biathlon coming up in less than a month, having no swim training or sessions in the past two months, i can only say one thing : HOW? HKL!

i think i better make time to head to the pool. and maybe run that 10km now and then. and skip mingling with friends over dinners. I know for sure, i will have fun on the race day, just cause everyone's there, and there'll be plenty of laughter. And i'll be smiling.

2 comments:

-ben said...

Don't let your dive training lapse too. At the barest minimum (unless they have changed requirements), at least one dive a year.

*add pressure*

Nah, you'll do fine!

:-P

Matty Wong said...

Passion is something only yourself and others with similarities will understand. To the rest it may be obessesion, but deep inside you know this is the way to go.

Ya go do things you love, matter of fact you only live once....