Thursday, February 15, 2007

Beijing, China...

Beijing, China has always been a fantastic place to be in, though my pref is always in Shanghai. But i guess the history of Beijing blended with the city culture has always been a drawing factor for some friends of mine, over work in Shanghai. This trip was like any other, for work. I didn't have much time to go around the city, mainly cause the trip is short. I had to fly back on the seemingly impossible full flights due to the Chinese New Year being the very weekend, cutting short to the trip for three days only. I caught a red eye flight on Sunday, to arrive on the Monday to start work... and finish off by Wednesday midnight to be home in Singapore for work on a Thursday morning.

Beijing has gone more commercialized. The subway has far more ads, from the latest Nike basketball sneakers to the new Apple iPod shuffles. I spent a good amount of time in Starbucks, making use of the free Wireless Internet Access, finishing as much work as i can. I didn't see any shoes that caught my fancy, perhaps it's cause of them being boots. And it's way too hot in Singapore to be decked in boots all the time. I didn't see any clothes, perhaps it's cause it was all sweaters and stuff. Beijing is very cold at this time. Too cold. And the wind was so strong. I am all wrapped up, except in my room or out in the streets.

The whole trip's highlight was perhaps the fact i caught sunrise, on my way flying into Beijing. That spectrum of lights, beyond that horizon. At that moment, i knew. I knew that things were going to be different this year. And i'm going to be a different Eve, i resolve to be, i have to be. I felt the sense of calm and peace. And perhaps, i found my own lil' shangri la. Like the song "Boston", i am just sick of sunsets. All i need is this one sunrise, to bring forth strength.

No comments: