Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Singapore Biathlon 2011

I didn't know why i was in bed at 10pm on a friday night. I was exhausted from the week's work. I felt a tiny flu bug hitting me, and decided to call it an early night and down that mug of water laced with berocca vitamin c.

At 6am, i heard the alarm. I still lazed around in bed. I spoke to my mom close to 630am, wondering if she's awake too early, or i might possibly be late. Of course, it's the latter. And i realized it was time to squeeze myself into my tri tights, and get to East Coast Park. My wave is at 730am.
I got myself to the start line less than a minute from the gun off. The swim was a washing machine during the first 200metres. Nothing that i did not expect. And i found new meaning to "breast strokers", like literally. The only surprising thing is there were not many seabugs in the ocean, nor jellyfishes. I suffered a few bites, but at least the water was cooling, and i didn't have too bad a time trying to finish it. My mind though kept saying "are we there yet? why is this taking so long?"

Out from the sea, i staggered like a bad drunk to the transition point. Socks, shoes, gels, and race bib. I was off to run that 10km. Truth be told, i had a bad time trying to do 10km over the past few months since Singapore Marathon 2010 in December. I wasn't able to sustain running anything more than 5km. Yep, my life was that sad. Today however was my day. I managed to find this slow jogging pace : i reckon 6:20 per km. Slow, but i know i'll get to the 10km mark. I saw Matt as expected. I saw a few of my friends.

I crossed the line, according to the result, at 1 hour 46 mins 52 seconds. A tad two minutes slower than last year. But at least i completed it.

Here's to Julian and his wonderful way of convincing me that this is a tradition. I have and must do it. ahhhhhh bahhh... till 2012.

3 comments:

Teo Hui Koon said...

Good job nonetheless! You started! :)

jacqie :) teo said...

Well done, sista :)

jacqie :) teo said...

Well done, sista :)