Monday, October 11, 2010

Running out of a rut

It had finally dawned on me that I have barely two months to go. Yes, YongFeng, 7 weeks is a month odd. And those dreaded 42km across Singapore. It's a distance I have done a few times over. Why the fear? Tried going running a few times And I can't seem to overcome the 8km mark, how am I going to deal with those 42km?

I went down to east coast park to show some love to the guys running Newton 30km. I cant possibly envision running that far. It was weird seeing faces scrunched up in pain and dazed! Hui Koon and Enrico were zooming as usual. When can i ever run 30km under 3 hours? For now I am just worried about finishing.

Any brilliant advice? Anyone? I need to run 42km soon.

With a face mask on my face, I think the best plan i come up with is I will go running anytime I can whenever I can and preferably everyday. One foot in front of another, i will get there.

2 comments:

Teo Hui Koon said...

You saw wrong. Only Enrico was zooming away... I was just trotting along...
You have done it a few times. You know how it feels. Time to take out the runners and do it all over again. Time to take of those blue suede shoes... :)

Enrico Varella said...

Hey, Eve.

You can work around your busy schedule. 8km being your maximum distance, consider splitting it to 8K in the morning and 5K in the evening. Split the runs into small, digestible morsels. This seems to work as your body remembers cumulative distance and efforts. Do it by feel. Stop if you hurt too much, or suspect impending injury. If you have to walk, walk the remaining distance fast. Aim for 5-8km per session, for a maximum of 12-16K a day. Attempt two days on, one day off to give your body recovery time.

Let me know how this goes. Thanks for supporting us yesterday.