Monday, July 30, 2007

Osim Singapore International Triathlon 2007

Yes, the day has finally come for me to try my first official race. I found out through the tough way (that is, putting myself through the entire osim race course) to realize the one by TriFam is like way shorter. There's a need to document this first official race of mine, so bear with me.

At the swim leg, there's no denial that it wasn't a pretty sight. I may adore the sun, sand and sea. But to compete with 114 other women at the same time all rushing to hit the water is not something i am accustomed to, especially with zero lane marking. It's one huge lane and everyone's going to swim, shove and pull through it. Just the thought of the current and other people grabbing my ass and legs makes me want to hurl. By the time i hit the sea, i was trying my very best to keep up with the top pack. At the first 250m swim, i wanted to raise my hands up and perform a DNF (Did Not Finish). I persisted to the next 250m, and i felt this is a torturing. By the end of the 750m, i ran out with a smile, telling myself the 1500m swimmers are crazy and i will not ever do it again.

The transition zone is a nightmare, a complete mud bath of sorts. I ran towards my bike, with mud covered feet. Washed it a lil, put on my shimanos and ran towards the bike start. On the way, i shouted at Kian Yan's coach Zul, and he told Kian Yan after the race that i had this fierce look. But the truth is I hate mud and can't wait to get out of it. Bike loop 1 was the start of a long ride, my knees started to swell up, which was not good news at all. I knew then that i should not have gone out cycling on thursday. But Bike loop2, it's screaming to give up. I kept feeling that this is just the most incredibly mind-torturing thing ever. Seeing others go past me wasn't that great of a feeling either. I began questioning myself through the bike leg why i am doing this. At the end of the bike leg, i felt a sense of joy that i am almost done.

Running across the transition zone to park my bike and put on my Asics, all i can think of is the amount of mud and muddy water in my shoes. Sigh... i hate mud. Running out, i felt a wave of emotions. I wanted so much to cry, i felt so miserable. Yet i couldn't, as i know there's nothing worth crying about at that moment. Next was the feeling of that Gu gel coming out of my throat. I stood aside and tried to hurl, but i couldn't. So i continued my 5km run. Coming towards the finish line, i felt so incredibly happy. Something i couldn't quite put to words. It's that "high". It was then i decided maybe, yep maybe, i should go do the ladies tri on Sept 23rd.

For more pictures, please go to my flickr' file of Osim Singapore International Tri'2007

I came in position 45th of 115 ladies in the Sprint Category. Timing : 1 hr 42 minutes.
Now to focus on becoming stronger, faster & better.

Cheers,
Evie

No comments: