Wednesday, March 26, 2008

time changes everything

Priorities always changes, and it should. This line seemed to resonate with me. I spent the week leading up to Good Friday and the entire week, reading the foreword of Triathlete Magazine April 2008, by Mitch Thrower. Though the header was titled Sandbagger, it bear that much more than being the usual midnight runs or borrowing any bike to sneak in time to train, it was about priorities and the mindset of a triathlete as well as a human being.

I did train, i do try. I am a try-athlete, as some might said. I am a casual triathlete, a weekend warrior of sorts, or a taitai-triathlete, i would tell others. I've started having renewed passion for running again. Like another guy said, and i quote : i need to forget the last marathon in order to run the next one. For now, i'll keep on moving towards my goal : my 70.3 & that 42km.

On Good Friday, i caught up with the girls, although we had some misunderstandings over religion, and hens' night, but that's another story altogether. So going in, i knew some feathers were ruffled, and i was prepared for a really nasty time. Maybe i was being sensitive, sensitivity being the only thing left that still stood between me and that cross to being a full-fledged brother. Heh :) . Through the hours i spend with them, actually 2 hours, i realized their lives have started moving onto the topic of weddings & renovation, and very caught up with it too. Our priorities have changed. There i stood, realizing i am not going to partake in that madness. Of course i felt different, why else would i blog about it? But my intentions were clear to stay true to my true style of Eve, and just have fun, and throw caution to the wind.

I left the lunch, with a heavy heart to head for training and that constant reminder to keep me grounded : Priorities change, as they should with time. Just as they have their priority to get married and have their fairytale wedding, i'm going to continue my road to finishing up an ironman. Different people get married for a variety of reasons. Some do it because they want to live together, without nagging parents. Some just felt it would be a whole new level to just being committed. Some do it for the kids. Some do it for the wedding event itself. I can't seem to understand that amount of craze for a perfect fairytale wedding. Was i going to be like that when it's my turn? What about that joy of getting married, and starting life as a Mrs? I wondered if any of the married ones thought about it. Life's so much more than being a wife and a mother. First you're a daughter and sister. For me, there's also the "brother", best friend, buddy, training mate, etc. And i live with that, knowing my life has been crazy and fulfilling, just the way i like it.

For now, i continue my road to finishing an ironman. And i find comfort that someone else share my exact sentiments. "There's no way a non-triathlete would understand the energy and confidence i gain from finishing a race", says Mitch Thrower. And Amen to that!

No comments: