Tuesday, July 25, 2006

shelf life & expiry dates...

I had the opportunity over the past week to hang around my friends. Oh, before i forget, Congrats Nick & Suet in your holy matrimony and being one : Mr & Mrs Nicholas Loke. Your wedding dinner also doubled as a splendid catch up dinner for the Purdue alums. It was very nice to sit there and chat about what school life was. Incidents quoted : how i am the only Chinese girl some guys ever known who do not know how to use chopsticks, and i claim to be very "angmoh" in my ways, the term "angmoh" lian and me were so tight, that it's now a label. Over that dinner, i realized that everyone around me is now approaching the "marriageable age", as they claim. Of cos, they decided to ask the lil' one : me ... the million dollar question WHEN IS YOUR TURN?

Dating is a vicious cycle. You date, you get committed, you're expected to get married once you reach the expiry date. What exactly is expiry date? Apparently, the men never do have an expiry date. It's the women, or so they say. They expect women to get married by the time they hit late 20s, preferably before 30. When i said i shelf my marriage plans to make way for my intention to further school, my friends scoffed at my idea. My group of friends are made up of mostly men. The general lot feels i should just settle down, get married and pop some babies. I, on the other hand, wants to finish school, find a better job and be able to buy my own stuff, and to fulfill my 30 things to do before i turn 30.

I wonder if the women ever gets to be what they want to be, and not live by the societal norms of getting married before they turn 30. To the elderly, it paves way for childbirth, child rearing and every other thing revolved around a lil' baby. Well... that can wait.

For now, it's 30 things before i turn 30. And one of the items is to buy my very own evo.

2 comments:

-ben said...

Now you know why I despise attending weddings.

Funerals. Now, I'll show up for those.
No one ever asks, "When will it be your turn?"
And there's practically no chance (unless the "guest of honor" is Jesus or Lazarus) of the dude coming back later and making a mockery of the event.

Before anyone starts flaming, do look up the statistics for divorce and annulments.


Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»