Monday, October 12, 2009

under the sea...

Barely a month or two ago, i have subconsciously made up my mind that i won't take up diving. The time and money committed to such a leisurely sport would surely take a toll on my wallet.

Fast forward to one day of mayhem hanging around, i thought "oh, why not?"
One week of mulling whether to do it... interrupted by fears earthquakes and aftershocks, and of course, tidal waves. One week of class and pool lessons. I am open water certified!

That weekend spent doing open water dives to ensure i know how to safeguard my own ass as well as my buddy's has made me embrace the sea even more. I a
m surprised to find clear waters just off of Pulau Dayang, off Mersing, Malaysia. The travelling there is tiring, accommodations were sparse, not that i mind. Not one bit at all. It was about loving the water, and taking in sights underwater.

Those images underwater would be etched in my memory. I remember, during a dive my instructor pointed at a fish and signal a sign for eating. So after that, i asked "so pomfret? you said can eat...". He shook his head and decided i'm always hungry and always sleepy. But you know what? It's meant to be a leisure sport. However, you need to be physically fit all the time to be able to withstand days of diving and the multiple dives it involves. It's an experience i think more people should partake in.

"under the sea under the sea,
down here it's better,
down where it's better,
take it from me"


No comments: