Sunday, December 07, 2008

My 1st 42.195km

I couldn't take it.
The rolling awake at 5ish am to 6ish am every weekend.
Those long runs i put in, at East Coast Park.
Those runs i put in, at MacRitchie Park.
The thoughts just haunts me, of putting those mileage to waste.
Sacrifices made to do my runs. The loss of time with friends, and dinners with family.

I've been in an ambivalent mood all week, leading up to the marathon.
At 11pm on the night before those 42.195km, i told myself "if there are no better plans tonight, i'm going to sleep and go for the marathon. Sadly, there were none.
The clock beeped me awake at 330am on 7th December. The time is near.
I had the usual tummy churning jitters, which is a surprise, considering i wasn't panicking for days, and was consuming beer and alcohol at an extremely high dosage. I had wanted to start with Uncle KC. But that tummy just wouldn't hold for those kms. I ended up all alone, with my ipod stuck to my ears. I met Gary & Nick along the way...before i detoured. I met Chris, a friend from swim class. I met a few other people. No one stuck to my mind more so than meeting Kai. We chatted everything under the sun, from about going to zouk after marathon, and having drinks, to injuries, and overtaking people, and about our siblings and our relationships. The fun was just there, i totally enjoyed it. And of cos, the joy of finishing those 42.195km walk with a friend. :)

It's not just how you get there, it's whether you get there.

No comments: